Our Journey Toward Greater Sustainability (Part 1) – Making a Pawsitive Impact
We’re excited to announce that we’ve started working with Partners for a Clean Environment (PACE) to conduct a sustainability audit and provide recommendations to help us measure and improve our use of energy and water resources while reducing our overall waste stream. Like all PACE Partner businesses, at The Happy Beast, we’re committed to supporting a strong local economy, implementing environmentally sustainable practices, and demonstrating leadership in our community. We’re extremely proud to have already achieved our water usage certification, but we’re still working toward our energy reduction and waste diversion goals. We’re including a list of the steps we’re taking below, but please let us know if you have any other ideas or suggestions. We want to share these goals and achievements with our customers at every step and we always welcome your feedback.
If you’d like to to learn more about what sustainability steps you can take for your business or home (and what rebates may be available) please contact PACE or Eco-Cycle for more information.
The Happy Beast: Steps to PACE Certification
(Audit conducted on May 15, 2015)
- Water: CERTIFIED
- Install low-flow faucet and dog wash sprayers: COMPLETE
- Install additional drain screens for dog washes: COMPLETE
- Install water efficient toilet: COMPLETE
- Install dual-flush toilet conversion kit: Pending
- Energy: Work-in-Progress
- Update thermostat programming: COMPLETE
- Use smart power outlet strips: COMPLETE
- Use sleep mode for all computers: COMPLETE
- Install Energy Star certified washer and dryer: COMPLETE
- Upgrade all remaining lighting to LEDs: Pending
- Install occupancy sensors in bathrooms: Pending
- Upgrade to energy-efficient water heater: Pending
- Waste: Work-in-Progress
- Establish composting and recycling, including packaging film plastics: COMPLETE
- Provide reusable shopping bags and $.10 bag credits (stop by the store to get yours!): COMPLETE
- Track monthly waste stream (recycling, compost, plastics, and trash): Pending
Exciting news: After tracking our waste stream for the past two months (recycling, compost, film plastics, and landfill) we’ve achieved an 89% diversion rate and now have our PACE Waste Certification! Next up, we’re after our Energy Certification. Woo-hoo!